Sarah Darcey aspired to build a fashion styling brand. But with a great job, her aspiration never left the back burner.
COVID-19 changed all that.
For months, Sarah was confined to her apartment. The more time she spent staring at the wall and reflecting, the more she knew she had to make her dream happen.
Discouraged by advice from fashion insiders, she decided to fast-track her road to fame with a crazy challenge: to style 50 items in her apartment in 50 days, and document her adventure on video.
Today, as she nears the 50 item finish line, her creativity and spark have inspired viewers to cheer her on, offer styling gigs, and more. Want to cheer her on? Check out her 50 items youtube channel here!
I got a chance to chat with Sarah about her inspiration, the limitations of the fashion industry, the roots of her idea, and the cool movement she wants to start. I hope you enjoy the conversation.
- 2:28 – Sarah’s secret ambition
- 2:57 – The traditional path to success
- 3:45 – Talking through a time warp
- 4:11 – Mean girls
- 6:45 – The fall of the giants at Conde Nast
- 9:38 – Introducing 50 Days, 50 Items
- 10:40 – Quite insane
- 11:14 – The creative constraint of COVID
- 11:25 – Three things COVID taught me
- 11:40 – There’s a book in You Can Style Anything
- 12:30 – Why fashion can become what you want it to be
- 13:14 – The feedback to the 50 Days videos
- 14:09 – You don’t need to look at your four walls the same way
- 14:25 – The takeout coffee feather handbag
- 15:10 – The next big project – Capsule Wardrobes
- 15:55 – The power of making things last
- 16:42 – The change in myself
- 18:14 – Why being safe is becoming the most unsafe thing
- 18:49 – Why I chose 50 Days, not 20
- 19:38 – Shooting video and the road to acceptance
- 20:40 – Confidence is contagious
- 22:08 – Why most people are terrified of cameras
- 22:34 – You need to be having fun
- 23:32 – I want to do things the way I want to do them
Enjoyed this entrepreneur’s story? You’ll like these, too:
Want to check out Sarah’s work? Here’s her website.
Want to meet Sarah and other entrepreneurs building their own brand? Join my BrandDIY Facebook Group.
Ready to DIY your own brand? Download my book BrandDIY and get started!
Make sure you get my insights straight to your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter.